Wednesday, January 4, 2017

http://dilbert.com/strip/2017-01-04

Today PHB gave Dilbert an extra project that would mess with Dilbert's flow. Yesterday, we learned about the technical debt problem and on Monday we learned about setting up programming environment.
Yes, I googled some more.
https://www.techopedia.com/definition/27913/technical-debt
Given on Sunday PHB and Catbert spoke about Dilbert's happiness meaning he was primed for more work, today makes sense. I wonder if tomorrow brings a moan.
Oh, I understand the context of flow. I was on the flow team at Target back in the day. Haha... it's actually like working a Friday at FedEx Express after 4 days of the same set up. Sorry about the analogy, I'm not an engineer. I used to be a librarian. I learned to catalog a little in LC and was comfortable with LC Subject Headings. I switched libraries and had to use DDS and Sears. I never bothered to learn anything beyond looking it up in a SH book. Sears is nice since it uses one book, while LC is much different.
About the flow, I generally hate cataloging and would be annoyed if I had to use both DDS and LC in a single day.
Messing with flow generally means not switching gears easily. Everyone has a flow. In my career as a Career Center Director, I had to do a number of things to contact graduates and students regarding their career pursuits. My day usually started with my emailing out job postings, until a reasonable time occurred to start calling people. Ten is the earliest I would call anyone. When I got to calling people, I called people until I needed to take a break. I always had plenty to do, so the break was mostly catching up on other elements of the job. I wasn't great at my job, hence I was let go after seven months.
Worst job ever, really, given my boss was indifferent and no one knew exactly what I did. Being the sole person in charge of student placement at a career college is a nightmare. Most places have teams because placement is how they stay accredited. I had to work during my "lunch," because that was when most people called me back or dropped in (Murphy's Law). My wife never understood my job and was perplexed that I did work when I was at home. She still hates Facebook. My Facebook page was started due to my job. No one answers a phone when they hate their school, but they would IM me or such since I was not typical of the institution. They knew me from my being the nice librarian. They thought I got a promotion when I took over the Career Center. It was  mostly a lateral move to a full time position. I shared the library role, but the other person wasn't too helpful. Library had 50 hours work hours allotted between 2 people, while Career Center had one person working 40 hours a week. Library gig was easy. No one used the library much beyond for the PCs, so the other librarian felt obligated to read or work on her MBA during her shift. People would ask her if she was going to apply for my library job when I left for the Career Center... we had the same job!

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea for the blog because it's similar to mine @ HTTP://t2do.com

    ReplyDelete